Monday, February 17, 2014

Dubai (days 4-6)

Today is my last day in the UAE. I'm spending it by enjoying mocktails (the drinking age is 21 in Dubai, and most restaurants do not have liquor licenses) and eating fresh seafood in the Dubai Marina. Definitely not too shabby.

However, not every moment I spent here was quite as glamorous. Since my last blogpost, I visited the Sheikh Muhammad Cultural Center for Understanding, Deira, and went to Abu Dhabi.

The SMCCU was probably one of the most significant stops of my trip. I was able to try on an abaya, eat traditional Emirati food, and partake in a discussion about Islam, the media, and misunderstandings between the eastern and western world. It was fascinating to listen to our lighthearted host, who served us traditional Arabic coffee and dates, and explained the significance of coffee in the Arab culture. Once lunch was over, he asked for a female volunteer to try on an abaya. Not wanting to pass up a (potentially) once in a life time opportunity, I went up. After trying one on, I can confidently say I wish they weren't considered taboo in western cultures. The perfect outfit for when you're tired, running late, and don't feel like dressing up! They are also incredibly comfortable and lightweight, and come in many black patterns. As proven by UV sunglasses, dark colors actually form a shield from the sun, and provide relief from the blistering conditions of the Middle East. Likewise, women who wear abayas tend to escape crude sexual remarks from vendors.


I have never felt more objectified than when visiting the souks of Dubai. As any person who works in retail knows, harassing customers is not a way into their wallets. Despite feeling uncomfortable, the gold souk was particularly interesting! Every window display was covered in gold chains, rings, necklaces, and earrings. All of the gold that enters the souk is tested for purity, and vendors that get caught selling imitation gold are severely punished.  So in terms or souvenirs, the only things I am bringing home from Dubai are fantastic memories, photographs, and even a slight tan. But those are the important things anyways!
Although  the souks were a bit disappointing, getting there was very exciting. I had to take the metro (with a transfer) to the complete opposite part of Dubai, and then take an abra across the Creek (which is more of a canal, not a small stream). I chatted with a friendly businessman from Afghanistan on the ride over.
The next day, I went with a Russian tour group to Abu Dhabi. We saw the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque, which boasts the worlds largest Persian rug and Swarovski chandelier. This mosque, like Abu Dhabi, is the epitome of wealth and glamour. Overall, the tour reaffirmed my distaste for group travel (with the exception of Birthright.) I don't regret it though, because it was a learning experience. When booking the tour, I wanted to test my Russian skills, and I successfully understood everything the guide told us (even terms about economics and politics!)

 Final thoughts on the UAE: I CANNOT WAIT TO COME BACK IN 2020!
Why 2020? Well for one, I'll be able to enjoy (and hopefully afford) Dubai's famous nightlife. This is also the year that Dubai will hold the World Expo, an event that has fascinated me since I read "Devil in the White  City" a few years ago. All of the buildings you see in Dubai today were built in the last 43 years, and I cannot wait to see what is built in this fantasy city in the next 43. 

2 comments:

  1. I envy you for having the confidence to travel solo to such a foreign country. I'm glad you are enjoying yourself though!! Keep the posts up lady!
    xo Brittney

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brittney it's so great to hear from you! Miss you, and best of luck to you with training!

      Delete